Pages

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Down Time


I’m learning that juggling work, parenthood, and a photography business is not the easiest task.  My husband left home for two weeks on business leaving me to serve as Mrs. Everything for our little family.  On a day-to-day basis I found myself completely wiped out after putting our little one to bed.  I literally could not bear to keep my eyes open past 10 o’clock pm.  Upon my husband’s return, I realized that not only did I take two weeks off of my normal me-time, I also took two weeks off of research and creative brainstorming.  Of course I read blogs and viewed photographic work of fellow photogs, but I failed to take time to “shoot around,” explore, and develop.  I recall the words of Pastor Duncan at my home church, “Your down time is your prep time.”  Constant preparation is necessary for preventing dust settling on your passion.  It is my goal to stay at a place of constant preparation and inspiration.  My me-time is necessary for me to keep the fire of my passion ablaze.

In an effort to provide my passion with the fuel it needs to stay ablaze, I have decided to commit one exercise a week to my passion.  My exercises will include exploring interesting scenery inside and outside of the house and reading magazines and blogs with instructional information.  It is necessary for me to establish a routine in the same way it is necessary to set mini goals on the way to an overarching goal.  I look forward to sessions of “show-and-tell” from my exercises during my down time. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment